Visits

Friday, November 17, 2017

Emotional Trauma and MS

I have always suspected that emotional trauma has a big effect on MS. I have assumed instinctively that it has been an ingredient behind many of the relapses I've suffered. I decided to do some research on the subject recently, given that I have been going through a long period of emotional upset, which has been accompanied by a rather significant decline in my condition, and I found that indeed the effects of emotional trauma on multiple sclerosis are well documented in any number of neurologic studies. These findings are accompanied by the evidence of new lesions on MRI scans. I suspect, moreover, that such trauma can actually be the factor that initially induces MS, or, in other words, causes what had been dormant to spring to life. Of course, I can recommend no treatment or palliating measure for this, other than to rent a small cabin in the woods and become a hermit. I merely find it interesting that this is a documented reality. I suppose that one could, to some extent, try to fend off the effects through awareness, or prayer, or meditation. One can also understand more fully, on a personal level, how damaging our words and our actions can be -- damaging far beyond the common sense of hurt feelings or unhappiness, slicing, rather, to the core of the body itself, to the stability of the central nervous system. We can at least, through what we suffer, have a greater understanding of the damage we may inflict through a failing to love, respect, to take care with our fellow human beings. As with many aspects of MS, there exists that opportunity to become more fully human, to grow in understanding, to become more than we were before.

No comments: